LOCATION: Google Maps – OX17 1SL or <Wardington Memorial Hall>
The origins of the Memorial Hall date back almost a hundred years when the first Hall was built in 1920 to honour those who had given their lives in the Great War.
Sadly the first Hall was destroyed by fire shortly afterwards and was replaced on the current site in 1926.
Eighty years on the nineteen twenties building was well beyond its best-before date and it was decided in 2011 to carry out a total refurbishment resulting in the re-opening of the current Hall in early 2013.
TRUSTEES & MANAGEMENT
The ownership and ultimate responsibility for the management of the Hall is vested in a charitable trust with all the Trustees being village residents. The Hall was built on land gifted to the village by the the first Lord Wardington.
The Management Committee is again made up of village representatives who are formally elected annually with responsibility for managing the ‘provision of a facility for community and entertainment activities’ for the residents of Wardington.
For a summary of the 2017 AGM click on link: Memorial Hall AGM – Summary – July 2017
Accounts for 2016/17 click on link: Memorial Hall – Accounts – 2016-17
THE HALL & THE FACILITIES
The recent refurbishment included two key much needed improvements. Firstly the layout of the Hall was completed changed so that the main hall is now located on the southerly side of the building, thus gaining maximum benefit from natural sunlight. Secondly the insulation (or total lack of it!) in the exterior walls, floor and roof is now of the highest quality.
The facilities now include:
- Main hall of 1,400 sq ft (48ft x 29ft)
- Meeting room of 200 sq ft (20ft x 10ft)
- Preparation kitchen with hatches into both the hall and meeting room
- Bar with servery into the main hall
- Disabled toilet facilities
- French windows leading from the main hall to the terrace area
- Space for a marquee extension on terrace area
- Access from the terrace area to the Village Children’s Playground
- Limited car parking area at the front of the Hall
See also Memorial Hall – Ground Floor Plan
All hiring rates (see separate schedule) include:
- All lighting, heating and hot water as necessary
- Full use of all 15 long tables (6’ x 2’ 6”) and 80 upholstered banqueting chairs
- Preparation kitchen facilities including a deep freeze and refrigerator
- Bar server with refrigerator and wine cooler
- Supply of crockery and cutlery for approximately 80 covers
- Supply of 72 wine glasses
- Premises Licence to include music, singing, dancing, plays, indoor sports, etc
- Temporary Event Notice (TEN) is required for the sale of alcohol
- Maximum number of persons is 140
- Music and other entertainment must finish at 11.00pm unless extended via a TEN
Contacts for hiring:
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Paul Bimson: 01295 758855
- Clive Hunt: 01295 758087
The Hall as recently decorated for a family party