Minutes of the Meeting of Wardington Parish Council held on Tuesday 28th July 2015 at 7.30pm in Wardington Memorial Hall

In Attendance:  Mr G Page (Chair), Mr G Martin, Mrs A Pascoe, Mr M Patterson, Mr M Hickman (Clerk), Mr I Franklin (Parishioner), Mr B Jarrett (Parishioner)

Apologies: Mr N Bankes (Vice-Chair), Mr K Atack (District Councillor),

Minutes of the Previous Meetings (June 23rd and July 23rd): Agreed and signed

1. Matters arising from previous meetings

1.1 HS2

  • It was agreed what a success the HS2 Action Group’s public meeting was on July 23rd.
  • There were a large number of responses received following the meeting regarding the potential effects of HS2 HGV construction traffic on individuals, homes and businesses etc.
  • These were forwarded to Charles Holbech of the HS2 Action Group to assist in the production of the parliamentary petition.
  • The petition will be delivered to parliament on August 12th.
  • A copy of the presentation can be seen here and a summary of the meeting here.
  • Clerk presented a complete Terms of Reference for the HS2 Action Group which was accepted by the council and signed by the Chair.
  • At the extra-ordinary council meeting on July 23rd the parish council agreed a budget of £6000 for the Action Group – in line with local government spending limits – which will be met by parish council reserve funds over the next two years (2015-17).

1.2. Co-option

  • Mr Franklin was unanimously co-opted on to the parish council.
  • The chair welcomed him and thanked him for offering his time and resources.
  • His contact details are:


Main road (A361)


01295 758347


1.3. Parish Clerk

  • Mr Bob Jarrett was invited to the meeting after expressing interest in becoming the new parish clerk.
  • He will meet with the current clerk over the course of the next month to see fully what the job entails.

1.4 Grass

  • On meeting with the grass cutters the Chair was informed that though the use of herbicidal spray is kept to a minimum, sometimes it is necessary where setting equipment is difficult, and he was assured that extra vigilance will be observed in the future.

1.5 Dog Warden

  • Following a number of complaints regarding dog fouling on the sports field, Cherwell District Council have been asked to send a representative to police the area and to remove any litter that they find.

1.6 Warbler Editor

  • The Community Led Plan has reportedly had some success in recruiting a team of people to take over the editorship of the Warbler.

This is timely as Henri Senn leaves Wardington for a new home on July 31st, marking an end to a 10-year stint as editor of The Warbler. The role is unpaid and Henri has given much time and comittment over these years to ensure that the Warbler remains as a vital source of information for many in the village. The parish council would like to send Henri express thanks for her kind service and wish her the very best for the future.

1.7 Playground

  • It was suggested that local builders are solicited to see if there is anyone who would be generous enough to undertake the work required on the playground fencing if the parish council provided materials.

1.8 Williamscot Noticeboard

  • Mr Martin reported that the Williamscot noticeboard is currently in his workshop and maintenance will be undertaken this week.

1.9 Parish Laptop

  • The laptop is currently being assessed at the computer repair centre. Report to follow.


2. Planning

15/01126/F   Mr Clive Nichols. The Conifers. Erection of single storey extension to existing garage and its conversion into a garden room. No objections.


3. Finance

3.1 External Audit

  • Clerk announced that the external audit of the 2014-15 financial accounts has been received completed.

3.2 Invoices

Cheques authorised:

100785  Diane Malley. Payroll services. £29.

100786  Wardington Memorial Hall. Hire for HS2 meeting. £11.50.

100787  Mitchell Hickman (Clerk). Pay to July 27th. £400.

100788  BDO LLP. External audit. £288.


3.3 Playground 200 Club


100608   £20   VOIDED. Elsie Smith. VOIDED.

100609   £10.   Lois Lawless.

100610   £20.   Elsie Smith.


4. AOB

Cricket club

  • The Cricket Club committee has regrouped and has appointed a new treasurer to draw up a plan to get the sports field back to health as a multi-sports playing field.
  • If you would like to make a donation of any size to help the sports field prosper once again, please contact George Page or Anne Wilkins.

Omlet Signpost

  • Mr Franklin recommended that Omlet is contacted to request that a sign is produced for the A361 pointing HGVs to their premises to prevent drivers from performing dangerous manoeuvres in the road when they miss the turning.


The meeting closed at 9:00pm.

The next meeting will be on Tuesday 1st September at 7:30pm in the village hall.